Error with MTD VAT Return

Help!!

I recently registered for MTD Vat returns and have registered with Datadear to submit electronically. I recently submitted outstanding returns. I was making repayment returns and had 3 sets of returns to make. When I submitted the first return it defaulted to a Nov return but was supposed to be the return for Aug. I didnt realise and proceeded to submit.

I contacted HMRC and was told that I would need to correct and submit a return for Aug in order for they to process subsequent returns.

However, each time I attempt to submit a return, the date autofills to date of next return in feb, and will not allow me to submit a previous return.

HMRC say I need to get the software supplier to unlock this for me??

Hi @Conal_Murnaghan

Are you able to see the August return in the open periods report?

NevilleM

Thanks for coming back to me.

Not sure which report you mean. Is that on the HMRC website?

On HMRC site under Your VAT account - Returns due - ‘view return deadlines’ tab, the missing aug return does not appear.

However, if I go to History - view past payments ( opens in new tab) - this brings me to the old vat screen where I used submit returns online - when I view account on this page, and click current position, the August return appears there as outstanding

Thanks again

Conal

Hi - I am referring to this DataDear report (Obligations):

Thanks Neville

Went to open file to access this report. Got an error message re ‘OLE’ which wouldn’t let me proceed. Closed programme and when reopened the datadear add in was gone. Have looked at community forum re this, and followed instructions to enable add in which doing nothing. Have uninstalled and reinstalled again to no avail, and have tried add in on a second computer with same issues.

Am sorry again maybe I have done something wrong

Hi @Conal_Murnaghan

It may look like the add-in got disabled- have a look at this article:

Neville

Thanks for help. Have add in re-enabled and can see that the missing return is ‘open’ in obligations report, and the next two returns are ‘fulfilled’.

Is there any way I can submit this missing return?

Thanks

Conal

Hi @Conal_Murnaghan

This is quite tricky and I cannot try to replicate myself so difficult to provide exact steps on how you can resolve this issue.

Can you try to add your number as an agent and see if that helps as agents are allowed to enter some of the entries manually:

Neville

Have registered as an agent but cant see how to make changes. Still defaulting to next return date and cant amend to date of missing return. I could allow you remote access if you want to go through steps on my return

Thanks

Conal

Hi @Conal_Murnaghan

Then I’m afraid DataDear will not be able to help you with submitting the old period. It was not designed for those scenarios in order to ensure that users cannot tamper with the open periods.