HMRC Ref.: Charge Reference: Error - amount should be a monetary value (to 2 decimal places), between 0 and 99,999,999,999.99 (INVALID_MONETARY_AMOUNT)

datadear
hmrc-vat
hmrc

I have tried multiple times to post and made changes but keep getting this error:

[86Q8iWDWr0Ks/zbDuyuGTQ== - HMRC Ref.: Charge Reference: ] : Error - amount should be a monetary value (to 2 decimal places), between 0 and 99,999,999,999.99 (INVALID_MONETARY_AMOUNT)

Box 5: We are owed money and figure should be negative.
The amount in box 3 is less than the amount in box 4.
box 6 totals up as a positive when it should have a minus sign next to it and doesn’t. I therefore must enter a negative value manually. Is this a bug?
If I were to submit as a positive number, surely this would not be correct?

Hey, thanks for reaching out!

Box 5 whether positive or negative must always be displayed as a positive, hence the ABS formula you will see. Don’t worry if it is money owed back to you, the systems know from tallying boxes 3/4 whether to expect a payment / make a repayment.

I would need further information RE box 6, unless bad debt / adjustment I’d typically expect this to be a positive figure, and definitely wouldn’t advise overwriting figures manually! Drop me a line on carl@datadear.com if you’d like me to take a look.

Thanks,
Carl

Just to confirm if anyone else reads this, I made a mistake regarding box 6, I meant box 5 comes up as positive but since you’ve mentioned this is okay, I will continue to make the submission as a positive.