How do I upload attachments when creating and editing records?

Learn how to upload multiple sheets in the accounting software when posting from a DataDear template.

When using the DataDear templates to create and edit data in bulk, there is the option of uploading any supporting documentation to the transaction being pushed into the accounting software. An attachment could be the way a journal was calculated or a copy of an Invoice generated from an external system.

This can be done in 2 steps:

1. Supported templates that allow you to upload an attachment have a dedicated column Upload sheet? (Column B) which needs to be set to Yes.

2. A corresponding sheet name the reference of the line (example ‘Customer Invoice Ref’ for the Invoices template or ‘My Unique Reference’ for Manual Journals template) needs to be created in the same workbook.

Accepted formats

Since the accounting software might have some limitations related to file size, file name and file extension, DataDear compresses the created file and uploads a zipped file into the accounting software. Hence all file formats provided by Excel are accepted. There is still a limit on size of file that can be uploaded but this is quite high and should not raise any concerns. Some popular file extensions are:

1. .xlsx
  2. .xsl (old Excel format)
  3. .xlsm (macro-enabled)

When uploading sheets, it is important the name of the sheet does not have any space in the reference & sheet name - always use _ or - as a separator.

Upload multiple sheets

This functionality will allow multiple sheets to be uploaded as an attachment to the account software - allowing linked sheets to be uploaded together with the supporting sheets.

To upload multiple sheets, the name of the sheets have to start with (contain) the reference indicated in the template line. Example the ‘My Unique Reference’ in the Manual Journals is given the name of Support_doc , the sheets to be uploaded can be given the following names - Support_doc_1, Support_doc_2 and Support_doc_3 etc…