MTD submission problem

reporting

I’m trying to submit our VAT return using the Datadear spreadsheet, but keep getting the error from HMRC below:

[G4nhttTgeEGIm3d9deCrkg== - HMRC Ref.: Charge Reference: ] : Error - Net Vat Due should be the difference between the largest and the smallest values among Total Vat Due and Vat Reclaimed (VAT_NET_VALUE)

I can’t see anything wrong with the calculated VAT figure, except that, on this occasion, HMRC owe us, rather than the other way around. Box 5 shows a positive figure, rather than a negative one - is this the source of the problem?

Hi - we have not experienced this problem before so we would love to investigate this further. Can you please send your workbook to support@datadear.com so we can have a look at the numbers. We need to determine if the message is coming from HMRC or from DataDear.

Thank you!

Hi

I’m trying to submit MTD VAT return for the 1st time and am getting this same message. The calculation is correct (or looks to be) - as the value shown in my S/S is total VAT minus purchase. I then get this error:

[1WdKmmAVVkuAsyeijvNGew== - HMRC Ref.: Charge Reference: ] : Error - Net Vat Due should be the difference between the largest and the smallest values among Total Vat Due and Vat Reclaimed (VAT_NET_VALUE)

The value IS the difference but total vat due and total vat reclaimed - so can’t see what the submission doesn’t like it? I’ve retried several times…

The issue I had with trying to submit the data came down to rounding - making sure you round to two figures when transferring data from your working spreadsheet to the Datadear submission sorted my problem. Not sure this is of help!

Bill

Hi Russ

Thanks Bill! What Bill suggested could solve the problem, can you try and let us know, Russ, please?

Thanks both - Bill may be onto something, but I still can’t get it to work…

The HRMC VAT RETURN FORM (V1.0) shows all of the cells in it are set to 2 decimal places - so, for example, the box 5 value reads “5240.11”.

However, when I then try to submit the return, the pop-up window headed “Submitting your VAT” which summaries the info on the form then shows the “Net VAT to pay” amount as “5240.105” - so it has somehow turned that into 3 decimal places. The same applies to the VAT reclaimed figure (2 decimal places on the sheet, but 3 on the summary pop-up window).

I’ve checked my spreadsheet where the figures on the HMRC VAT RETURN FORM originate from (to make sure that they aren’t set at 3 decimal places and are somehow carrying through) - but they are not: all of the cells are set to 2 decimal places.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Hi Clifton

This problem still persists - I’ve tried changing the source data, deleting everything and starting again, checking that everything is set to 2 decimal places - and everything looks fine on the sheets. However, no matter what I do, as soon as I try to post the info, the pop-up window shows that the Net vat to pay and Vat reclaimed figures have somehow turned into 3 decimal places, and I get the message:

[1WdKmmAVVkuAsyeijvNGew== - HMRC Ref.: Charge Reference: ] : Error - Net Vat Due should be the difference between the largest and the smallest values among Total Vat Due and Vat Reclaimed (VAT_NET_VALUE)

Something is obviously transforming those numbers in the background. Any idea on what to do?

Hi Russ

You may want to have a look on how to handle Excel rounding in your formula as this seems to be related to the Excel calculation and is not something DataDear can help with.

https://exceljet.net/excel-functions/excel-round-function