MTD VAT Return DataDear destroyed itself

I just used DataDear for my second VAT return. It submitted ok but the copy VAT return was not populated. I checked on the HMRC site and HMRC received it fine.
So I tried to create a report and DataDear spent about 10 minutes doing whatever and Excel locked up. When I restarted it the DataDear add-in was gone. I have worked through reinstalling it, it updates itself but it fails every time to show.
I am really concerned as the next return has to be done while I will be away so have to do it on my laptop with very limited internet access.
Please don’t tell me it has destroyed Excel as reinstalling it is a pain and causes all sorts of problems with very complex spreadsheets that I use all the time.
Is DataDear really as flakey as this?
I am using Office Professional Plus 2013 32 bit on 64bit Windows-10

Hi @StevenJay

Have a look at this article as probably you disabled the add-in when the Excel locked up.

As I said, I have tried to re-enable the add in as described in the help files. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the add in but although I can see it and enable it it just will not reappear in tool bar. Something in the DataDear add in I fear has damaged Excel. If I spend the time reinstalling Excel and getting it working as I need it on a daily basis, I fear that next time I use the DataDear add in it will just do the same thing. Am I the only one that has hod this happen?

Hi @StevenJay

Are you sure you have carried out the steps outlined in the article I shared - the way you describe the problem is usually due to the add-in being disabled.

btw an add-in can never damage Excel - no need to worry about this.

Hi Neville,

Regarding StevenJay’s first post (Feb 12), did you have any thoughts on how to overcome the original problem he described, please, where DataDear didn’t generate a new copy/confirmation sheet? I have exactly the same situation as him (but without the Excel lockup) - in other words, for my second VAT return the DataDear template submitted my figures to HMRC (later checked ok by logging into HMRC separately) but there was no confirmation visible from HMRC, and DataDear didn’t populate a new sheet with the submission details and HMRC confirmation.

Is it possible to get that submission details / confirmation sheet generated for the last quarter at this stage, and do you have any tips on how to avoid this issue in future, please?

Thanks, Mark